After investing in Australia’s top mattresses, it’s time to safeguard your investment. The best quality bed protector is one of the most vital bed accessories you can acquire for your bed.
While most people overlook the importance of a mattress cover, it is the initial line of barrier to anything that may damage your mattress. Plus, a proper bed protector can improve your mattress’ lifespan.
A good bed protector prevents your bed from allergies, dust mites, spills, mould, and other incidents. Additionally, it will protect your bed from absorbing oils and sweat from your body while reflecting the metabolic temp to maintain your body cool all night. Your mattress will feel even more comfortable with a cushioned protector.
Also, top-quality bed protectors are as simple to clean as quality sheets and can withstand washing machines. The best part is that they won’t shrink or lose quality in the drier.
Some assume that mattress protectors, toppers, and bed pads do the same. But they’re all used for various purposes.
Thick coating of latex, quilted material or memory foam are used as mattress toppers to enhance the comfort of the mattress. Bed pads are constructed of flimsy, quilted material and are designed just to inhibit water and other liquids from penetrating your mattress.
On the other hand, Mattress protectors provide better safety than packs since they shield the entire mattress from various dangers — even though they are thinner.
1. Ecoy: Best Protector Overall
- Buyers seeking environmental-friendly fabrics
- Hot sleepers
- Favourable prices
- It has a fabric bamboo cover
- Certified by OEKO-TEX
According to sleep specialists’ extensive testing, the top pick for an adequate mattress cover in Australia is Ecoy’s bamboo bed protector. The bamboo fabric used to make the watertight mattress cover is produced responsibly. And because of the bamboo’s nature, the protector comes with hypoallergenic and sweat-wicking qualities.
After thoroughly evaluating their samples, the experts concluded that Ecoy’s mattress protector is Australia’s best protector, which comes with several other perks, such as:
- Free delivery across Australia
- Your purchase will support environmental protection; Ecoy is a 1% for earth registered member.
Therefore, Ecoy is your best option for the finest mid-range bed protector available. Currently, their toppers are offered in double, single, king, super king, and queen sizes, with their prices beginning from $80.
- Price range between $80 and $160
- Offered sizes: Single, Single, Queen, Double, King, and Super King
- The material used: Organic Bamboo
- Test period: 30-nights free trial
- No warranty
2. Emma Bed Protector
This bed’s protector is the most excellent premium mattress manufacturer and offers Australia’s most luxurious mattress protectors. And while you’ll pay more for this product than the regular mattress protectors, the high quality and exceptional features which protect you from allergies make the price worthwhile.
This premium protector from Emma Mattresses uses a revolutionary, cutting-edge polyester substance that is incredibly soft, breathable, and light. Compared to most other alternatives, the unique fibres give about 89% greater protection from allergies and dust mites.
Since the protector is entirely probiotic, it includes beneficial bacteria that fend against allergies and moisture; it’s solid and waterproof. Emma’s bed protector also has a 10-year guarantee, including a 100-night trial.
The product is closed in a fitted sheet fashion, made to suit this mattress but can also work with most mattresses in Australia.
- Price range from $126.75 and $156.75
- Offered sizes: Single, King Single, Double, Queen, King
- The material used: Fabric
- Test period: 100-night
- Ten years warranty
3. Tempur-Fit Bred Protector
This bed protector is arguably the best mattress protector option regarding breathability. The product offers all features you will get in a high-quality bed protector. It is long-lasting, hypoallergenic, and very breathable.
A highly flexible patented fabric designated as ThermalSense is used to make the Tempur-Fit mattress protector, which makes it simple to adjust the size of any mattress. Plus, it can fit a wide range of mattress depths because of its deep sides and extreme flexibility.
Tempur-Fit protectors are made with Tencel, an environmentally friendly fabric composed of wood pulp. Tencel and cotton are combined in the Tempur-Fit fabric, making it wrinkle-proof, very smooth, and silky in texture. A polyurethane composite membrane is included in the mattress cover to shield your bed from spillage and other mishaps.
Unlike other watertight mattress protectors, the Tempur-Fit mattress protector doesn’t feel or sound crinkly when rolled over. The thin covering keeps your body cool while maintaining silence.
The fabric is soft and comfortable, and users can sleep on top of it. It is pretty enduring, simple to clean, and allergy-resistant for the most part.
The protector’s excellent closing style is a zipper enclosure, with a three-year warranty to support the mattress protector’s high calibre.
- Prices range from $159 to $249
- Offered sizes: Long Single, Single, Queen, King Single, Double, King
- The material used: Polyester fabric
- Test period: 100-nights
- It has a three-year warranty
4. Ergoflex Protector
The top-tier mattress maker Ergoflex offers the best cooling mattress protector in Australia. Through its cutting-edge design, this mattress protector boosts sleep by offering thermoregulation. By utilising nanotechnology in its manufacturing process, the brand sets itself apart from its competition.
You could flip and turn if your bed protector absorbs heat. The exclusive PCM used to make this mattress protector absorbs heat and transfers it from your body. That said, the Tundra mattress protector keeps your body at 28℃ and prevents sweat from damaging bed linens.
The technology used in making this mattress protector doesn’t compromise users’ comfort. It is breathable and made of silky-soft fabric, provides complete waterproof protection and is hypoallergenic. The protector also serves as excellent heat-retention protection for memory beds.
This mattress protector also uses eco-friendly products. The brand has received the highest certification for ecosystem sustainability, the OEKO-TEX 100 Standard. According to the certification, these products are safe for kids and individuals with delicate skin.
The covers are closed in a fitted sheet fashion. The protection fits most mattresses even though it was made to completely match Ergoflex mattresses, one of the top selections for Australians. They are available in different sizes: King, queen, and singles in all lengths and configurations.
- Prices range from $149.99 to $199.99
- Offered sizes: Long Single, Single, Double, King, King Single, and Queen
- It doesn’t have a test period
- It has a two-year warranty
5. Red Protector
The environmentally friendly bamboo used to make this mattress protector results in an astonishingly soft fabric. This protector is breathable and moisture-absorbent. The fabric used in bamboo mattress protectors is the most effective in removing allergens, which is one of its main advantages.
This mattress protector protects against mites, bed bugs, and allergies and the bed is entirely enclosed by the Red Nomad; down to the bottom.
While the hard plant may appear strange for a bed protector, bamboo is one of the glossy materials on the market after being converted into textile fibres. Furthermore, it has natural temperature-regulating qualities, allowing you to sleep without sweating. This mattress protector also has soft coverings and makes no noise while rolling on them.
The protection doesn’t contain PVC or phthalates and has received the OEKO-TEX certification as an ecosystem-friendly product, with its closing style being a zipper enclosure.
- Prices range between $59.94 and $68.69
- Offered sizes: California King, Single, Double, King, and Twin XL
- The material used: Soundless polyurethane
- No trial period
- No warranty
6. Nectar Protector
This protector is constructed of natural filament that increases circulation, making it great for breathability. A bed with better ventilation protects against allergens and keeps your body cool while sleeping.
This mattress protector incorporates a smooth quilted top coating for extra bed comfort due to its stain-resistant. The additional cushioning makes the covering incredibly smooth and noiseless while under your covers.
This mattress protector can fit beds up to 23 inches deep and is highly elastic. Contrary to many other bed protectors, this mattress protector is designed to stay under your bed. After only a few weeks, it won’t get loose as it fits tightly over your bed.
The product also offers exceptional temperature regulation all through the night. With a Tencel material, it’s an entirely stain-resistant and waterproof protector that will keep your body cool while sleeping. Also, the Nectar protector has a warranty of 5 years and a 50-night sleep trial.
- Prices range between $99 and $119
- Offered sizes: Full, King, Cal KingTwin, Twin XL, and Queen
- The material used: Natural cotton
- The test period is 50 nights
- It has a five-year warranty
7. Onebed Protector
Onebed manufactures features as one of Australia’s leading mattresses in addition to a premium mattress protector. This bed protector is an excellent option for any memory bed and is designed to fit this mattress properly. They enable the foam below the protection to support your body completely.
This mattress protector has a superior quilted cover and is composed of amazingly soft pure cotton percale. The fabric’s structure prevents clumps and improves uniform stretching. With cotton content, it is very breathable and aids in keeping you cool as you sleep.
The anti-bacterial material used to design the Onebed bed protector eliminates microorganisms and reduces allergies. This mattress cover is also highly resistant to mites, dust and other pests, as per its maker, who claims that not even a single particle of sand can get through it.
It shields your bed from spills, perspiration, and other mishaps and is entirely waterproof. The manufacturer of Onebed mattress protectors stands by the grade of their product with a five-year warranty since it is robust, with the protection closing in a cut-out sheet fashion.
- Prices range between $120 and $200
- Offered sizes: Single, Queen, KingKing Single, and Double
- The material used is pure cotton
- Test period is125 night
- It has a five-year warranty
8. Noa Bed Protector
Noa Mattress brand is reputable for producing eco-friendly mattress protectors from Portugal by a family-owned textile business. The Protector is constructed of a soft, environment-friendly Tencel material with pure cotton and a watertight polyurethane liner.
Noa protectors must pass frequent audits to demonstrate that it only employs chemicals, fabrics, and dyes. This mattress protector has been certified by Standard 100 as suitable for infants, kids, and individuals with delicate skin.
This Noa Bed Protector is hypoallergenic, antimicrobial, and natural. They’re made to be incredibly durable and simple to clean and maintain. This bed protector will suit most mattresses even though it was made to exactly accommodate Nao mattresses.
- Prices range between $89 and $139
- Offered sizes: Single, King, Double, and Queen
- Material: Tencel, polyurethane and cotton
- Test period 120-nights
- It has no warranty
9. Florica Waterproof Bed Protector
Florica doesn’t hold heat as many watertight protectors do. Instead, it offers outstanding breathability keeping you dry and comfortable all night long.
This waterproof bed protector is also constructed of plush cotton terry, which is entirely waterproof. Moving and rolling on top of the terry doesn’t produce any noise and naturally wicks sweat. Besides, this mattress protector has an antigen barrier between the sleeper and the mattress.
This mattress protector grows softer with each wash, unlike other mattress protectors. Drying shouldn’t lead to shrinking either, provided you follow the instructions.
The protection is closed in a cut-out sheet fashion, and you may choose from five different sizes: double, single, queen, king single, and king. It is also made to be breathable, lightweight, and waterproof.
- The price ranges from $39.99 to $49.99
- It is available in single, double, queen, king single, and king.
- It is made up of materials such as Polyester, Cotton, and Polyester Blends
- It has no trial period
10. Purple Bed Protector
Mattress manufacturer Purple creates a bed protector that is “Sasquatch-proof” and long-lasting. The Purple claims that neither you nor these fantastical creatures can ruin the bed protector. This mattress protector is our choice for Australia’s most potent mattress protector since it has multiple layers on the top and sides for additional protection.
This mattress protector has an interior waterproof liner and interior layer to keep liquids from getting to your mattress. Because of the fabric’s excellent elasticity, your body may lie naturally on this bed. This stretchable mattress cover is wrinkle- and sound-proof.
The protection fits most mattresses even though the Purple mattress manufacturer created it. Its sturdy polyester fabric is surprisingly soft. The best part is that it is made simple to clean and maintain.
The protection is closed in a fitted sheet fashion, with the mattress protector coming in various sizes such as twin, twin XL, full XL, full, queen, and king.
- The price ranges between $63 to $126
- It is available in different sizes such as twin, twin XL, full XL, full, queen, and king
- It is made up of materials such as 15% Spandex,85% Polyester
- It has a trial period of 30 days
- Has a 10-year warranty:
11. Little Organic Waterproof Protector
With no worry about washing your baby’s crib mattress, parenting is already hard enough. Fortunately, this mattress protector comes to the rescue of Australian parents and is entirely waterproof and free of allergies.
Highly porous and absorbent cotton is used to make this incredibly soft bed protector. Your kid will have a convenient sleeping environment, thanks to it. The Oeko-Tex Class, 1-bed protector certification, attests to its waterproof barrier.
The protection, which closes with elastic straps, is designed to accommodate crib mattresses measuring 90 cm by 200 cm.
- Prices range between $75.99 and $151.98
- offered sizes: Single, Twin
- The material used is entirely Organic Cotton and pure Polyurethane Membrane.
- It doesn’t have a trial period
- Wait doesn’t have a warranty
How to Select a Mattress Protector
It’s critical to consider who will be lying on the mattress and the level of wear and tear it will endure before choosing a mattress protector. For example, a children’s mattress must include a watertight mattress cover, and if you have sensitive skin, you should choose a protector that keeps allergens out.
We’ve highlighted some critical elements to consider when choosing a mattress protector in the list below.
Types of Mattress Protector materials
- Cotton mattress protectors: Cotton mattress covers are porous and aid in controlling body temperature while you sleep. Cotton-filled mattress protectors are incredibly plush and improve the comfort of the mattress.
There are several cotton mattress protectors available that haven’t undergone chemical processing; they’re suitable for those with sensitive skin. When cotton is washed and dried, it may shrink.
- Tencel mattress protectors: Wood pulp is used to create Tencel, often referred to as Lyocell. Combined with cotton, it creates a highly eco-friendly and soft fabric. Tencel mattress coverings naturally wick moisture and fight germs while hypoallergenic.
- Bamboo mattress protectors: Bamboo mattress coverings, like Tencel, are naturally hypoallergenic and great at getting rid of germs and microorganisms. They assist you in staying dry and cool while you sleep.
- Synthetic mattress protectors: The most affordable mattress protectors are frequently made of polyester and other synthetic materials. They lack the durability and breathability of mattress protectors made of natural fibres.
They are also not waterproof or hypoallergenic without the use of specific chemicals or a liner during manufacturing. Synthetic fabrics, however, are simple to maintain.
Types of Mattress Protectors
- Fitted or skirted: This one is the most popular mattress protector design. With this design, the mattress’s bottom corners are covered by a “skirt” that you wrap around them. It covers the top and sides of the mattress entirely, much like a fitted sheet.
- Encased or zippered: Mattress coverings with enclosures completely encase the mattress, including the base. After enclosing the mattress in the cover, zip it up to seal it. Compared to fitted mattress coverings, they are more challenging to take off and put on.
- Elastic straps: Some mattress covers just protect the mattress’s surface. They are placed on by fastening elastic straps to the mattress’s sides. Compared to fitted or enclosed mattress coverings, these are less safe and protective.
Other Mattress Protector Features
- Quilted: Quilted mattress coverings often provide more comfort. The additional filler layers enhance your mattress’s comfort.
- Waterproof: Most consumers favour waterproof mattress protectors, particularly for kids. A spilled liquid usually beads up on the surface of a waterproof mattress protector rather than soaking through to the mattress.
The lack of permeability in vinyl or plastic waterproof protection might make you sweaty while you sleep and frequently make noise as you roll over them.
A waterproof mattress bed protector with a thin polyurethane covering could be preferable. This design helps keep you cool while preventing allergens and liquids from entering the mattress.
- Hypoallergenic and anti-allergy: Using hypoallergenic mattress protectors minimises the likelihood that you may experience an allergic response to the mattress protector.
Many mattress coverings made of natural fibres are already hypoallergenic. Similarly, an anti-allergy bed protector is created using processes that stop allergic reactions.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Should I Care for My Mattress Protector?
Most mattress protector manufacturers may be cleaned and dried in a machine. It is advisable to wash mattress protectors in warm or lukewarm water and tumble dry them on low to avoid shrinking.
We advise cleaning your mattress protector. Avoid bleach and detergent. Many mattress protectors’ membranes can be harmed by bleach.
How Frequently Should I Wash My Mattress Protector?
You should typically wash your bed protector once every month. A few things are an exception:
- Wash your mattress covering once every two weeks if you have allergies.
- Wash the bed every few months to remove dust if it isn’t used every night.
- If you have an accident or spill that gets on your bed linens, wash the mattress cover right away to stop the spread of bacteria and mildew.
What Should I Do if My Mattress Protector Doesn’t Fit Perfectly?
The skirt of the majority of mattress covers fits your mattress like a fitted sheet. By tucking the skirt under the mattress, you may adjust it.
How Do I Know if My Mattress Protector Prevents Bed Bugs?
Not all mattress coverings guard against bed bug infestations. When seeking bed bug defence, take into account the following:
- Purchase a bed protector that completely encloses the mattress.
- To determine whether a mattress protector is bed bug-proof, check the label.
- Verify that the mattress protector has received a bed bug-proof certification from a pest control firm.
The Difference Between Anti-Allergy and Hypoallergenic Mattress Protector
When searching for a mattress protector, buyers frequently believe that the words hypoallergenic and anti-allergy mean the same thing. Although the terms are similar, there are significant variances between them:
- Anti-allergy signifies that the mattress protector’s maker has used a treatment to minimise or remove allergens from the product. Anti-allergy medications often target dust mites and fungus spores.
- Hypoallergenic means that the mattress protector’s substance is less likely to trigger allergic responses than other materials. Nevertheless, it doesn’t necessarily imply that the substance is kind to delicate skin or allergy-proof.